Monday, October 16, 2017

Prayer Time ~ Search Me And Teach Me (Jeremiah 17:5-10)

Today's Influence:
Jeremiah 17:5-10 (NLT):
This is what the Lord says: “Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans, who rely on human strength and turn their hearts away from the Lord. They are like stunted shrubs in the desert, with no hope for the future. They will live in the barren wilderness, in an uninhabited salty land. But blessed are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence. They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green, and they never stop producing fruit. The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is? But I, the Lord, search all hearts and examine secret motives. I give all people their due rewards, according to what their actions deserve.”
-----

Today's Prayer:
Lord, I call upon you to help me to trust in you, Lord. Help me to find my hope and my confidence in you alone. Search my heart, God. Examine my motives. Show me the darkness within my own heart and the errors in my way, so that your Holy light may shine upon them and cast out any thoughts that do not honor you. Teach me to rely on your strength rather than my own.
-----

My Story:
I'm a stubborn person. Anyone who knows me will testify to that, and could tell you volumes about the lengths I'll go to just to prove that I can do something on my own without any help or assistance - even if it darn near kills me! I don't like admitting when I'm in over my head until I'm in so deep that I can not find any possible way out of the mess. Then I *might* hint that I could *possibly* use a little help to get out of the jam.
 Somehow I don't think that this extreme level of stubbornness is very helpful when it comes to turning over the reins of my life to God, and trusting on Him to take control. This is something I'm sure I'll still be working on years from now. But at least I'm admitting that I need His help asking for help. That's something, isn't it?
-----

Your Turn:
How good are you at turning over the reins and letting God steer the wagon you call life? What about self-monitoring and keeping yourself in check when it comes to those less-than-pleasant thoughts or motives? Even the best deed can sour if it's done for the wrong reasons. Share in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment