Sunday, October 15, 2017

Prayer Time ~ Righteousness And Repentance (Ezekiel 18:19-32)

Today's Influence:
Ezekiel 18:19-32 (NLT excerpts):
(20-22) ...The child will not be punished for the parent's sins, and the parent will not be punished for the child's sins. Righteous people will be rewarded for their own righteous behavior, and wicked people will be punished for their own wickedness. But if wicked people turn away from all their sins and begin to obey my decrees and do what is just and right, they will surely live and not die. All their past sins will be forgotten, and they will live because of the righteous things they have done.
(24) However, if righteous people turn from their righteous behavior and start doing sinful things and act like other sinners, should they be allowed to live? No, of course not! All their righteous acts will be forgotten, and they will die for their sins. 
(27-28) And if wicked people turn from their wickedness, obey the law, and do what is just and right, they will save their lives. They will live because they thought it over and decided to turn from their sins...
(30-32) Therefore, I will judge each of you, O people of Israel, according to your actions, says the Sovereign Lord. Repent, and turn away from your sins. Don't let them destroy you! Put all your rebellion behind you, and find yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. For why should you die, O people of Israel? I don't want you to die, says the Sovereign Lord. Turn back and live!
-----

Today's Prayer:
Lord, I pray that you help me to become righteous in your eyes. Give me the courage to turn away from my sins, and the wisdom and strength to obey your decrees and do what is just and right. Forgive me of my sins and show me how to live so I may honor lead. 
Lead me away from my rebellious nature so I may have a new heart and a new spirit through you, dear God. Lord, I praise you for your mercy, and I repent of my wrongdoings. Show me the path you have laid out before me, that I might follow it and honor you, Lord.
God, how grateful I am that my children will not be punished for my sins. Please help me to guide them to follow your ways, so that they may do what is just and live in honor of your righteousness. I ask you to show them their rebellion and their sins, so they may repent and turn back to you if they stray. Thank you, God. 
-----

My Story:
The sins I committed in my wilderness years are far too many to count. Thank God that those things are no longer held against me. Nor are they held against my children, who are given a fresh slate upon which to write their own behaviors. While I can not keep them from rebelling and choosing the same sins that I have given in to, I can encourage them to pursue a state of righteousness and to show repentance, asking God for forgiveness when they do fall short of His teachings.
-----

Your Turn:
When was the last time you thanked God that our sins are not passed on to our children, or that we don't inherit the sins of our parents? Are you struggling with rebellion when it comes to following God in some area of your life? Share in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment