Monday, June 13, 2011

Poetry Readings

   I've been doing open mic nights off and on for about 9-10 years now. I'll do it at one venue for a time or two, or for a few years, then stop for a while, then try out someplace new. I guess I'm still looking for thet home away from home, or something to that effect. I found a new venue, and tonight was my second evening there. They do open mic on a weekly basis, which is a first for me. Every other place it's been monthly. And this is the first time I've read publicly in over two years. I don't think I did too badly though, so that's a good start.
   Anyway, I'm planning on posting the poems I read each week up on my poetry blog, and I'm really, really hoping that maybe this process will somehow help me to resume writing, considering I haven't written much of anything in the last three months (poetry or otherwise, really). I always believed that the only reason I write is for people to hear it, so maybe it lost it's purpose for a while, and thus I lost my motivation (or something to that effect). Who knows...
   ZoKo is thrilled to be going back to open mic nights. She was raised in them, literally. So many of her "firsts" in the first two years of life occured during or shortly following an open mic session. And she has a knack for the stage. Tonight, she sang three songs which were all total improv and left the audience in shock. I meant to bring the video recorder but forgot to do so, hopefully I'll remember to do so next week. I really need to get some videos of her. :)
   I'm tired and it's way past my bedtime, so I'll post more soon, hopefully. Until then, peace out, and have a good life. If you're ever in Springfield on a Monday night, feel free to drop by. My poetry probably sucks, but there's cool music and a singing 7-year old that's worth the price of the coffee. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment