Greek For Everyone: Introductory Greek For Bible Study And Application by A. Chadwick Thornhill
Greek For Everyone by A. Chadwick Thornhill is designed to allow anyone to learn the basics of biblical Greek at their own pace, even with no previous knowledge of the language. I really found the layout of this book to be easy to follow. The step-by-step progressions made it flow in such a way that I could keep track of and utilize what I learned every step of the way. Most of the chapters end with a "your turn" section encouraging you to put the new concepts to work, and a list of new words to memorize. By the end of the book, you will have memorized almost 100 basic words, which are critical to translating the New Testament. The author stresses to take your time with each chapter and really learn the material before moving on.
When I started reading this book, I had never studied the Greek language before. My own lack of knowledge became painfully obvious in chapter 1, when he first explains what Koine Greek is, and I'd never even heard the term before. So if I managed to follow and learn from this book, then I dare say the title is well earned, and it truly is "Greek For Everyone". By the end of the book, no, you don't know "everything" about the Greek language and how to translate it. After all, it is an introductory course. But you do end up with a sound working knowledge of biblical Greek, which will allow you to study and interpret the New Testament in more personal ways.
Here's a chapter listing to show the order in which concepts are introduced.
1) Language Learning, Koine Greek, and the Greek Alphabet
2) The Big Picture of Language
3) Phrases, Clauses, and Conjunctions
4) Resources for Navigating the Greek New Testament
5) Introduction to Greek Verbs and Nominals
6) Nominative, Accusative, and Vocative Cases
7) Genitive and Dative Cases
8) Articles, Pronouns, Adjectives, and Prepositions
9) (Independent) Indicative-Mood Verbs
10) (Independent) Imperative-Mood Verbs
11) (Dependent) Subjunctive-Mood Verbs
12) (Dependent) Greek Infinitives
13) (Dependent) Greek Participles
14) Back to the Big Picture
15) Comparing English Translations
16) Bridging Contexts
17) Word Studies
18) The Grammar of Theology (Putting It All Together)
*Disclaimer: I received this book free from Baker Books through the Baker Books Bloggers program. The opinions I have expressed are my own, and I was not required to write a positive review.*