Thursday, October 19, 2017

Prayer Time ~ Earnest Love (1 Peter 4:8)

Today's Influence:*
1 Peter 4:8:
Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins.
-----

Today's Prayer:
Dear Lord, please help me to love my family earnestly and whole-heartedly. Remind me to show them love and kindness even in the midst of hardship and trials. Give me your heart to forgive their sins and help them learn to forgive themselves. I pray that you shed your love over us, so we may all love one another.
Help me to learn how to show love without conditions or limits. Teach me unfailing love as only you can.
Watch over my relationships with my children and help us to love and respect each other. Help them to follow your guidance and to ask for your mercy to forgive their sins and your grace to cover their weaknesses. 
-----

My Story:
It's easy to say "I love you" when things are going well, but I have a hard time not being sarcastic when things are not running smoothly. Having my teen yelling and screaming at me is more likely to elicit an "I love you, but..." than a straight up "I love you". Follow that "but" with anything from "it's hard to show you that while or screaming" to "it hurts me to watch you doing this to yourself"... Loving them unconditionally, no matter how much they're driving me crazy isn't hard - but showing them that love is a whole different ball game. I need help. God's help.
-----

Your Turn:
When do you find that you need God's help or reminders to love earnestly, without conditions attached to your level of care? Are there some relationships that are naturally easier for you to get along in than others? Share in the comments.
-----

*Today's scripture is from the week 1 lesson of the 2016 edition of Read Pray Love from Proverbial Homemaker. It might be obvious I'm running a year behind, but I'm new to this praying through the scriptures concept and I just printed out both the 2016 and 2017 sets last week and didn't want to "miss out" on anything while playing catch up. Instead of focusing on one verse a week, I plan on just working my way through one lesson every couple of days. With God's help, I'll catch up eventually.

Here are the links to both editions on her blog:
2016 edition of Read Pray Love - 52 Weeks Of Praying For Your Family
2017 edition of Read Pray Love (still in progress)

No comments:

Post a Comment