Each day's entire lesson revolves around a different focus word / phrase, and follows the same easy-to-use format:
1) focus word / phrase - yes, choose joy, gather, remember, play, light, etc
2) inspirational scripture / quote
3) personal story / lesson
4) re-telling and explaining of a Bible story
5) God's whispers to you - thoughts to reflect on
6) daily prayer
7) things to give yourself permission to do - prioritize your well-being, take a break, open up, etc.
8) reflection questions
9) one word prayer
10) soul care challenge & trail notes - music therapy, taking a bath, looking at trees, girls' night out, etc.
Whispers of Rest is written in such a way that each day's lesson could easily take 45 minutes or so to complete, or you could break it down and turn each day into a 2-3 day adventure, if you don't have time. But honestly, the point of the book is to make time. It's to help you relearn how to slow down, breathe, and take life in one glorious moment at a time, while praising God for all that He has provided for you.
Overall, I'd recommend this book to any Christian woman who feels as though she's wandered some or gotten caught up in the daily grind enough that she's not feeling God's whispers of love as strongly as she once did. However, for those who have deep-rooted pain and a feeling that their relationship with God is more than just a little weak or off course, this book may leave them wanting. 3/5 stars.
*Disclaimer: I received a complimentary print copy of this book from the publisher for the purpose of this honest review. All opinions are my own.*
About The Author (copied from back cover):
Bonnie Gray is the author of Finding Spiritual Whitespace, An inspirational speaker and retreat leader, she has touched thousands of lives through storytelling, visual arts, nature, prayer, and meditation. Bonnie's writing is featured in Relevant Magazine, DaySpring (in)courage, and Christianity Today. She lives in California with her husband and their two sons. Visit her at TheBonnieGray.com.