Thursday, August 25, 2016

To The Lady At The Bookstore...

To the lady looking at the Jesus Calling books in Redeemed Books today... You don't know me, or my son, or my daughter. And you'll never know how much your kindness means to us. My son just finished his 4th appt this week, when we went into Redeemed to look for a few books. He hit overload and started going into a melt down shortly after we walked in. I took him to the bathroom and waited for him to calm down so we could go back to looking. He loves books. He did well after we got out of the bathroom, looking at a few racks with patience and slight intrigue at the pretty colors. When we finished that row, he was ready to leave. But mommy took him to one more row, and he was done. Throwing himself, kicking, screaming, hitting. I hold him and keep him from hurting himself, because we can't leave until he's done or we just reinforce this reaction every time he doesn't get his way...
Then you came over to our aisle, looking at the devotionals alongside us. And while I'm dealing with my son, my daughter says hi and attempts casual small talk to show you this isn't something to worry about - it's our version of normal. But you keep looking at me and my son, and I brace myself for the inevitable criticism as you ask how old he is. 8. And his name? KiKi...
Next you do the unthinkable. You pick up a book. And show it to him. And you start counting the other matching books piled in front of him... And he stops screaming, and he waits as you point to another book. As his meltdown is suddenly ended by sheer distraction, he watches you in amazement. I steal that moment of distracted awe and tell him we can go now and usher him to check out. Happy and ready to go on with his day...

I told you thank you several times. But honestly, there aren't enough thank-you's in the world for what you did... Mommy trying to distract him doesn't work anymore, he knows mommy. A stranger trying to break into his world - even for a second - totally confounds him. To the point that he forgets to scream. And kick. And hit... He becomes the little boy that's no longer having a bad day and just wants to be happy with his world.

My son is KiKi. He's 8 and deaf and autistic. And having a very very long week. But your few moments of grace brought him peace and serenity in a way I can never describe. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment