Thursday, August 18, 2011

Homeschooling & Life

   So, my Mutt and I were talking today, and he suggested I do something that I've been contemplating for a while now anyway - starting a homeschooling group. Yes, I know there are a ton of those out there already. The problem? I don't fit in with them. At least not any of the local ones. Most of the parents that homeschool around here do so for religious reasons. Either because they don't want their children exposed to some of the less than savory aspects of the diversity in the public school system, or because they want to be able to teach about history and science and language arts while including their fundamental religious views within the curriculum. Either way, it comes down to the same concept: Being able to teach your own kids in your own way. As far as I know, this is basically the root reason for all homeschooling. Or at least, logically speaking, that is what it comes down to - religious or not...
   But that's just the thing - while I believe in teaching my own kids in my own way, and I do use primarily Christian-based curriculum (A Beka), I'm not into the religious benefits of homeschooling, or at least not in the way most people are in my area. I don't fit in with their groups because I don't attend church, and my daughter is not involved in some youth group. We don't even do meal or bed-time prayers. I was raised Christian and, don't get me wrong, I still semi consider myself Christian. I say semi because that really depends on who I'm talking to and what their definitions are compared to mine. Come to find out, we don't generally agree...
   And while I do use the primarily Christian based curriculum for my daughter's schooling, I plan on doing "religious studies" instead of "bible study". I plan on starting with the core fundamentals of Christianity sometime either this school year or next, and teaching common bible stories and things like that. However, I have no intention of stopping at that point. The year after that will be a continuation of her religious studies. Starting with Buddhism, Hinduism, and various New Age/Pagan belief systems, including ancient religious views from societies such as Egypt and the Druids. I fully intend to teach as much about various religions as I can, including the similarities between them, so that my daughter can have a solid foundation upon which to build her own belief system. I feel that her knowing why she believes something is a lot more important than her believing something just because someone else (including me) happens to believe a specific thing...
   I want my daughter to grow into a mature, responsible, independent adult who is able to make her own decisions and isn't afraid of standing up for HER beliefs, versus someone who moves out at 18 and is suddenly faced with a vast world they never knew existed...
   Again, don't get me wrong, Iam not trying to pick a fight. I am not saying that children raised having just one religous foundation are sheltered or in any way inferior to children that are allowed to explore more. What I am saying is just that for me personally, I believe the only way for my daughter to know what she believes is if I allow and encourage her to seek out those answers for herself...
   So, now, why is this a problem? One simple thing. Around here, I am outcast for this train of thought. I am literally shunned by most homeschoolers I have met in person, because we don't go to church, and because my daughter doesn't know the song "Jesus Loves Me". So many people don't look at her and see how beautiful and intelligent and independent she is. They look at her and see a child they should attempt to "save" instead. They don't get impressed that my 7 year old is reading the Twilight series, instead they are upset that I would let her be exposed to a fictional story containing vampires...
   I've been trying to locate a penpal for her for a while now. And most of the parents I have talked to start out with something similar to, "We are looking for a child from a nice Christian home with good morals and character..." Okay, so the Christian part probably wouldn't apply to her. But she knows how to say "please" and "thank you", and how to wait her turn (sometimes with more patience than others), and how to help out others (including her own autistic brother). She knows how to find beauty in a flower petal or a spring rain, and how to respectfully mourn the death of a wild squirrel with as much love and understanding as she would that of her own pet...
   And, even more importantly for a penpal, she can read and write and spend hours discussing everything from My Little Pony figurines to dinosaurs, or even writing her own songs and poems to share. I don't understand what the religious views of a child's household has to do with their ability to communicate about toys or animals or even literature. Sure, you might not want your child exposed to vampires. Fine, I can tell her not to write about that. Come on, is it really that bad to socialize with someone who doesn't agree with you 100% on everything? Even when I did go to church, most people I knew still had their little disagreements on what was appropriate or acceptable for their kids. Heck, you even get that with most married couples.
   Anyway, I've been rambling, probably mostly pointessly, for some while now. And I guess what it boils down to is this: I can't be the only homeschooling parent who is not completely devoted to their religious beliefs to the point of excluding anyone who does not whole-heartedly agree with them. Can I? ...I joined an online group of homeschoolers in St. Louis who seem diverse and willing to accept anyone, regardless as to their views on most topics. The problem? Four hours away makes the afternoon coffee shop meet-ups a little difficult.
   And the local group I'm in is supposed to be devoid of religious opinions. However, there I am criticized every time I post anything. Once, it was for stating my 7 year old was reading Twilight. Another time it was for referring to my own autistic son as "special needs". I'm sorry, I'm not down with the current politically correct term for this stuff. Apparently I should have just stated he was "not average" or some other crap. No one is average, what the heck does that mean anyway? I was after a specific question pertaining only to local homeschooling kids with an ASD diagnosis. To me, if that's not "special needs", then nothing is...
  So, if there are any other homeschoolers out there that don't mind talking to a self-proclaimed "non-religious/ecletically spiritual" homeschooler, hit me up. I won't criticize your views if you don't criticize mine. That being said, a lively discussion of open minds as always welcome. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment