Friday, November 19, 2010

FAPE (Free and Appropriate Public Education)

   I just got done with the meeting with the public school system about KiKi. Turns out that FAPE (free and appropriate public education) rules dictate that they cannot offer supportive services less than the minimum they see fit for an overall educational value. What does this mean? Simply put, it means that with him attending private school, they will not offer any supportive services such as therapy. It's all or nothing. Either I enroll him with them for four days a week or they forget my son exists basically, and do nothing whatsoever for him. So, I am continuing with the three day private preschool plan, and going to be talking to his pediatrician to see if he can be approved for therapy services through MOHealthNet (medicare). I don't know if they will do this or not, but it's the only way I might be able to get him therapy. Honestly, I'm not even sure what the therapy would do if he could get it at this point. But the private school still seems better fit to meet his current needs and theoretically I can still change his course of education and send him to the public school if I decide to at a later date. Although this is only a theory, and putting it into practice may prove difficult if I do eventually, for some unknown reason, decide to take that route... Meanwhile, his last day of therapy is tomorrow, and his first day in his new school is still set for the 30th of this month.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment